His engineer answered cautiously.
βPossibly, but we need an updated drainage assessment.β
The developer sighed.
βHow long?β
The engineer refused to guess without examining the site.
The developer looked toward the old concept plans.
Then said something that would become important later.
βCan't we just use the original assumptions?β
The engineer answered firmly.
βNo.β
The businessman leaned back.
He disliked being told no.
But the engineer didn't change his answer.
The discovery wasn't a minor inconvenience that could safely be ignored.
It was evidence that the land might behave very differently from what the original plans assumed.
And if the developer built over an old floodway without understanding it, the consequences could extend far beyond one farm.
The farmer's attorney reviewed the purchase offer that weekend.
He identified several conditions requiring attention.
The proposed transaction would have transferred a substantial portion of the northern acreage.
It included broad access rights for the developer.
And it placed important obligations on the seller concerning the condition of the land.
The attorney recommended obtaining updated information about the historical site, drainage conditions, and property boundaries before making any commitment.
The farmer listened.
Then asked, βWould the money solve our problems?β
The attorney paused.
βIt could address the immediate debt.β
The farmer nodded.
βBut?β
The lawyer looked toward the maps.
βYou'd be giving up land that may have value and obligations we don't yet understand.β
The farmer stared at the table.
He understood.
The offer was tempting precisely because he was frightened.
He wanted the bills paid.
He wanted his wife to stop working so many hours.
He wanted to stop waking at three in the morning wondering whether another storm would ruin the harvest.
But he also remembered something his father used to say.
Never make a permanent decision because of a temporary panic.
He'd ignored that advice before.
He didn't want to ignore it again.
So he declined to sign.
The developer responded with another offer.
Slightly more money.
A shorter deadline.
And a warning that the company might withdraw entirely if the farmer waited.
The farmer read it.
Then placed it in a drawer.
He didn't answer immediately.
For once, he decided that uncertainty was better than surrendering something he hadn't finished understanding.
The archaeological investigation proceeded slowly.
After the immediate slope hazard was assessed, the specialists developed a controlled plan for documenting the exposed site.